Pickrell Pirates

Well everone ELSE was doing it, so I guess we ought to as well! Actually I was checking out Becky's blog and saw how many others were keeping in touch with their blogs. What a wonderful idea! So anyway,... I'm going to bore you with my news too! Whoo hoo!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska, United States

Now is the time to adjust to yet another new normal. We have forgotten what sleeping through the entire night is like.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Miss Frizzle or Miss Viola Swamp?




Today I received some rather distressing news. A friend of mine had apparently talked to one of my students very recently and was told that I was a "strict, mean teacher who didn't discipline students who interrupt and I assigned too much homework."

....

Am I really that terrible? Granted, this is coming from a 10 year old who cannot seem to keep his or her finger out of his or her own nose. But still, I can't help but feel a tinge of hurt in hearing these words.

Ever since I was called to be a teacher, I've always wanted to be like Miss Frizzle from The Magic School Bus. She was the cool teacher who dressed funny, had a lizard, and took kids on great field trips. Hands on learning, all the way! But have I instead turned into a Miss Viola Swamp from Miss Nelson is Missing? Was my Miss Nelson (my good, sweet teaching side) too weak to control my classroom, so I had to pull out the meaness of my own "Miss Swamp?" I hate this feeling. I'm not ready to accept being "the mean teacher." It's great to be "the cool teacher" because everybody is excited to see you. However, my class isn't mature enough to do all the really cool stuff yet. It's really too bad.

I guess I don't really know where I'm going with this. I tend to blog more when Rick isn't home, because I have no one else to talk to. Does the fact that I base my life philosophy on children's picture books make me crazy? Who knows? I'm not really going to change the way that I teach, but it doesn't make the hurt go away. So,... if I start wearing all black all the time, stop brushing my hair, and paint my face white--Just look out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

You are not Miss Swamp!! You ARE a cool teacher. :) Being in a public position puts you in the difficult spot of being evaluated, which is not always very fun! It will smooth out, who YOU are supposed to be will become more settled. Besides, one of your students recently told me you were very cool, and amazingly creative!! So you can add that to the mix. :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Pickrell Pirates said...

Thanks Becky! I appreciate it!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I am waiting to hear what Ms. Frizzle does next....

9:49 PM  
Blogger Da Baums said...

Tif - you are an awesome teacher. You're kids just need to learn to use some self-control so you can be the cool teacher. Every once in awhile we have to let the Miss Swamp side in us come out so they remember who the boss is. But hopefully soon you can be Ms. Frizzle again! We will be praying for you! Don't get discouraged!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home