Pickrell Pirates

Well everone ELSE was doing it, so I guess we ought to as well! Actually I was checking out Becky's blog and saw how many others were keeping in touch with their blogs. What a wonderful idea! So anyway,... I'm going to bore you with my news too! Whoo hoo!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska, United States

Now is the time to adjust to yet another new normal. We have forgotten what sleeping through the entire night is like.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Adventures in Daycare

Over the summer I did some part-time at the Clover Pass Daycare (what can I say, CPCC is my home away from home). I had no desire to going back to the insensitive grind of the tourist industry, so I decided to try my hand at child care. It was a big jump for me, because unlike most girls, I didn't grow up babysitting little infants and drooling toddlers. I had never even changed a diaper in my entire life! And actually, I had a big fear of infants. It's always a little disconcerting having the parents eyeing you suspiciously as you over-cautiously, and awkwardly hold their tiny, squawking brood. Most parents would make jokes about it, which never really did reassure me. I just figured I'd learn all of this baby stuff out of necessity when I had my own kids. Well, due to circumstances, I figured I'd better get a heads up before I got pregnant again. And the experience has really been an eye opener.
I've found that I can actually work really well with babies. It's been pretty fun actually. Aside from coming home utterly exhausted, with a shirt soaked in saliva and snot, and tiny, aching scratches on my face-- it's been good. I've discovered that the unique "baby smell" is actually a combination of every single body fluid and baby powder... yum. Within my first week of working there, I pretty much got over my fear of babies. Once you've changed a dozen diapers without throwing up and rocked about six different babies to sleep, you start to feel pretty good about yourself. There's also been some pretty funny moments.
One day, I was helping out on the preschool side, and one of the little boys had a doll stuffed under his shirt. He was laying on his back while three other kids were all surrounding him. One had a stethoscope and another had numerous bottles, while the third had a toy, plastic power tool and was "sawing" into the boy. I asked them, "What are you doing?" They just simply glanced up at me and replied, "We're having a baby." I had to quickly turn about and casually walk off, because I nearly died laughing-- it was so cute.
I am relieved to have some time off once again so that I may get my house in order and the ground work laid for the Azalea court. But I am very thankful for the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and confront some irrational fears. And I would strongly suggest that if anyone out there has the same fears that I did, they should see about doing some care taking as well. Now don't relate having your own kids to barrowing someone elses, because it's not the same at all. I see how those kids faces light up when they see their mom or dad come walking through the door. There's no substitute for adoration like that.

1 Comments:

Blogger sixwickerts said...

yay an update!! I check your blog regularly and was thrilled to see you hadn't given up! I am glad to hear of your summer adventures and the things you are learning!! Blessings on you guys!!!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home