Pickrell Pirates

Well everone ELSE was doing it, so I guess we ought to as well! Actually I was checking out Becky's blog and saw how many others were keeping in touch with their blogs. What a wonderful idea! So anyway,... I'm going to bore you with my news too! Whoo hoo!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska, United States

Now is the time to adjust to yet another new normal. We have forgotten what sleeping through the entire night is like.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Reaping the Harvest


This one is for Veta. I finally beat the slugs to the strawberries this year! We've been having such beautiful weather here lately. It's actually a little maddening. You know how it is in Ketchikan. When it's sunny, you'd better get out and enjoy it, because you never know when the sun will come again. Well, having a newborn doesn't make going any where very easy, as I'm finding out. I have a nice bug screen for Haddy, that keeps most of the bugs out, but it also keeps Mommy out pretty good too. So, we girls go out when we can, as long as we can before her highness has a fit.
But, I'm pretty proud of my small accomplishments. Picked strawberries; fixed the fountain and now it's three-tiered; chunked some trees and cleared them; kept the plants alive during the heat; planted a hanging pot; and I now have tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers growing in the greenhouse. Ooh! Also, I have some wonderful potatoes growing. Amazingly, I'm just growing them from some old potatoes from lastyear that I never used and just "went bad." Their greenery is getting pretty impressive. There's just something about havesting stuff that you've grown yourself. I don't know. Maybe it's just something that God put in us. Ya know, the very first occupation was gardener. (Oh, and Veta-- hopefully I'll get your garden weeded before you come the visit.)

2 Comments:

Blogger sixwickerts said...

Good for you Tiff. I have always wanted a garden, but didn't get to it this year. If you can grow fruit and veg in Ktn you can grow it anywhere!!!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Veta said...

I am so impressed with the strawberries. We planted new this year so we didn't get very many. Don't worry too much about the weeds, you should see ours. It is almost impossible to keep up with at times. You have to water here and in doing so the weeds get watered as well but we are having a great tomatoe and squash harvest as usual. We love growing stuff enven though it is a lot of work. Hey we went to Texas today and picked peaches. Guess what we are doing tomorrow?? Canning.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home