Pickrell Pirates

Well everone ELSE was doing it, so I guess we ought to as well! Actually I was checking out Becky's blog and saw how many others were keeping in touch with their blogs. What a wonderful idea! So anyway,... I'm going to bore you with my news too! Whoo hoo!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska, United States

Now is the time to adjust to yet another new normal. We have forgotten what sleeping through the entire night is like.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Hunting the Easter Bunny


Aww... what a beautiful Resurrection Sunday. The sun was out. Had lunch with family. And went for a bit of rabbit hunting. Wait---what?!

Yup, that's right. This "Easter" Sunday my family and I went rabbit hunting. Here's the lowdown. Apparently my parent's neighborhood is getting overrun with rabbits. Mom kept talking about seeing rabbits over the last couple of days, but she didn't know where they came from, seeing as how wild rabbits isn't really a common thing around here. It turns out that one of the neighbors down the street had a coop containing the animals. There were 4 adults (2 males, 2 females) and 6 or 7 babies. It seems that the males chewed through their confined space to get to the females and then they all in turn chewed their way out of the coop. The owners are not home, and the person who is supposed to be taking care of them hasn't been around. So now, there are 10 or 11 rabbits out terrorizing the neighborhood. "Okay, really. How much damage can a bunny do?" you might ask. Let me tell you-- A LOT! Spring is finally in the air and we're seeing our first precious signs of green... and then they get eaten! My mom's crocuses (I don't care how it's spelled) are quickly disappearing. When Rick and I went over for lunch, Mom was showing me what was left of her flowers. We went inside, ate, and in that short time, more had "disappeared"! Everybody's gardens have been hit. The whole neighborhood is up in arms about the rabbits. Apparently, their not just sticking to destroying gardens either. These are mean animals. One of the neighbor's and his family managed to net one, and the thing went balistic. It was biting, scractching, and tearing out it's own hair trying to escape. Also, these frisky little devils have taken to violating cats! One neighbor's cat is declawed and a rabbit tried to mate with him. Poor kitty. That same neighbor also has a huge dog, which is great for keeping the bears away, but apparently he can't handle small, furry, vermin. He's been witnessed being chased away by two rabbits.

When I went over to my parents house, Mom and Sean were out "shooting rabbits," as my dad put it. I was thinking, "Wow, I didn't think Mom had it in her." Turns out, they were shooting a spring-loaded bebe gun at a rabbit and it didn't phase the dang thing. But Mom is mad enough to blugeon the pests. She's taken to weilding a walking stick whenever she's outside now. A good rabbit whapper. So, we went about today looking for rabbits; taking nets, bebe guns, sticks, and luck. One adult rabbit has been caught and returned to the coop. One baby has been caught by a neighbor girl, who last I heard was trying to convince her mom to let her keep it. Ha! I'm sure that went over realy well. We did spot a few, but no luck in the recovery department.

Aw... what a great Easter!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cooke family said...

Wow! They sound ferocious! That picture is funny!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Da Baums said...

Man I should bring Kenai over there. She would definitely LOVE to catch a few rabbits for you! I can't promise they will live though. Shylo would love to chase them but I don't think she is fast enough to actually catch one. Your post made me laugh! hehe

9:26 PM  
Blogger Eric & Sarah said...

I loved your story! Not exactly your "normal" Easter hunt experience. I had a great laugh out of it! It is REALLY hard to picture your mom out there ready to bludgeon a bunny. I feel the same way about slugs in my garden, but I don't know, bunnies are a lot cuter!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Veta said...

Ok so this isn't about the Easter bunny but what is the good word about the bun in the oven??? I am dying of curiosity. Your due date is past I think so what is the latest???
Love you

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home